Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Poly Days 1 - Anderson Junior Collage

Whew…3 years of Poly Life is finally “officially” ending…(Well it ended “unofficially” about 3 months ago) Just felt like doing a series of recount of my life at the Poly. Everything, from my decision to go there to study, and the lecturers, the modules, the facilities, the campus and of course my “wonderful” friends~!

Let's travel back to almost 4 years ago, at the end of 2002, when my secondary school life came to an end...That was when I have to make a very important decision (I consider that decision the 1st big decision of my life) -- about where to continue in life. Believe it or not, I wasn’t even considering a poly education back then. The common “misconception” back then was that I get to “save” 1 year. (Still remembered Louis telling me that he’ll “live 1 year longer than me” cause he's going to Poly…)

Being ignorant of the JC life, I took up the 3 months “prohibition” period at…Andersion Junior Collage. Guess how long I survived there? Less than 2 weeks. By the end of the 1st week I already “DREADED” going there. You cannot imagine how stressful it was. I had to wake up even earlier, and travel for a long time.

JC Subjects: Comparing O levels Maths (even “A” maths) to JC standard is like comparing climbing Bukit Timah Hill to Mt.Everest (Not that I have climbed Mt.Everest before, but you get the idea). Some of my most memorable lessons were the “Trinomial Theorem” from the Maths and some kind of even harder Qualitative Analysis during Chemistry. Basically, I hated almost everything I was doing. I was almost suffering from depression. I looked at every single subject - Physics, Maths, Chemistry and I made up my mind, I'm not going to spend the next 2 years of my life doing something that I totally have no passion for.

JC Friends: I really don't have any contact with them (I only stayed there for 2 weeks), but I do met some old friends, including Zi He from my Primary School! There were also some guys that leave a particulary deep impression on me. There's a guy with some sort of eye handicap and had to use a "magnifying device" to study. He's a really nice person though and I sat beside him quite often during the mass lectures. There's another guy that told me "A Degree is very important" when I told him I wanted to leave the JC. Wished I could have told him "Go Poly also can study University" back then. Heh...

JC Lecturers: Really don't have much to say. Basically in JC, the lecturers is "teach and you go study yourself". No more "spoon-feeding" style like the Secondary, which is why the students tends to be more "distant" from the lecturers. If you can't catch up, it's your own problem. 2 lecturers left a very deep impression but I forgot what they teach. 1 of them is a 40 years old plus old hag, always very "Black Face". Attending her tutorial is super duper stress. Sometimes I really don't know how to do those questions. Be prepare to stare at her...

Another is my form lecturer. I talked to her about my decision to leave JC education, and she gave me a lot of advice. Like "why not try on for some more time" and "what you going to do if you leave the JC now" etc...I think she's a really nice person, but at that time my mind was made up to leave JC, at least Anderson JC.

JC Orientation: Still, Anderson left me with some deep memories. I must say their orientation night was extremely well done. Everyone is assigned to a special team and the whole event is based on an event known as “Reconnaissance”. I am from the “Cielo, Sole” team and I still kept the badge as a memory. We went around doing community service and there were 2 leaders, I think known as "Mark" and "Grace". (Hee still remember)

Basically we'll compete and cheer and do all sort of crazy stuff (Even did a stage play together in the hall), and taught to dance some songs as well. Biggest regret now that I've misplaced that "booklet" that contains all the cheers/songs/chants that we used during the orientation. Some of them were really nice/hilarious. Biggest event was the "campfire-style" dance at the end where almost the WHOLE SCHOOL join in and we sing some stuff. That part was totally everyone "high". (Still remember it very vividly)

Goodbye To Anderson: Even though I cannot stay with AJC, I still never regreted going there. It not only allow me to have a taste of JC life (something I'll never experience again, not that I wanted to again), but also left me with some great memories.

No comments: