Saturday, June 17, 2006

"The Bluff Game" is GOLD!

Wee, after nearly 3 months since the start of the development, (with about 2 months break in between. Haha) Bluff is FINALLY done! And it was very different from what was originally intended! Let's recount the development story of this great game~! (There's too many screenshots if I want to post every change in every version of Bluff, so I'll just post the important screens)

The idea of creating Bluff started right after my internship (and I began working on it right away). After working on it for about 3 days, I came up with the basic skeleton and layout~

You're looking at Bluff Development Version 0.3! Haha...very sucky. I designed all the cards myself.
:P

Shortly after, Zhi Wei approached me and ask If I wanted to do a game! Haha. So "coincidence". I told him I just recently started working on this game and he offered to help me do the graphics!

And thus the real story of Bluff begins. The coding of the card displays is the biggest headache at this stage, but I quickly got it out of the way.

Development Version 0.6
Look at the brand new graphics! So nice! we also did quite a lot of changes to the card graphics (upon my request) because I think the number is too small to be seen.

Basically every card has an animal to represents. We also once thought of the idea to call "Jacky calls 5 elephants"...very scary thought -_-

Development Version 0.7
Aesthetics, and more aesthetics changes. Bluff first ever Main Menu screen is born~!

The in game doesn't have much changes, but there is now a beautiful artistic background image. At this stage we really intended to make the Multiplayer. Don't ask me about that Trademark......Gabble -_- The memories...

The development came to a complete halt after upon reaching here.

The last version was 0.9. I tried coding the the Networking portion for like a week but only manage to make them send text to each other -_-...I search on the net and went to the libraries to do research...but still no progress. With no progress, I first thought to stop development for about 2 weeks first, but in the end we stopped for nearly 2 months! Haha! At first I thought, that's it. Bluff will never be released.

But...until one night. For some reason, I ask the "very free" Zhi Wei to help draw S.H.E Avatar pictures, to place in my MSN area. 9th June an idea struck me. And I did something... unimaginable! I cut the "head" of the avatar he sent me and place it as the AI computer! Haha! It was originally just for fun, but one idea quickly gave rise to another.

The "Bluff Beta" versions are borned~I started working on these almost immediately

Can I say rapid and more rapid progress? (I stayed at home and "chiong" through on all these days. (11th June to 16 June)

Beta 0.1 quickly shot up to Beta 0.8 in within a few days time.


For example, Selina will show an angry face if you catch her. Ella will give you a wink when she catch you successfully. We added "text speeches" for the AI player, improved the announcement, add the ability to organize, fixed up bugs and more bugs and more bugs......-_-

Also, I GREATLY improved the Artificial Intelligence. They went from complete idiots to aggressive "attackers" that will do anything to stop you from reaching 0 cards. Average game time per round went from 5 min to 15 mins as the AI became much better.

Bluff Beta 0.9
We're at the final stages! Basically adding avatars for the characters to choose, add Winning Screen, Score System, ability to print screenshot and send it to your friends to show off! Little touchups everywhere, including changing the Main Menu buttons! The final beta version was 0.95 where we dig out the last bits of bugs and release Bluff, on 16th June around 11pm!

Weee! I am soooo happy! This is the FIRST game whichI am not "obliged" to make - meaning it's not because of some assignments or some work I have to hand in. I did this because I WANTED to do it. I did it during my own free time, and I learnt a lot from making this game. Of course having S.H.E in it just makes it better :P

Thanks to Zhi Wei for working so hard with me during these short 1 month (in total) development time of Bluff! (I said I wanted to get release it before he gets enlist on 19th June, and I fufilled my promise!) We met the deadline and complete the game in time~ 3 Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol you nv put the screenshot of version 1.0 =P