Sunday, May 21, 2006

Windows into SOC.....Windows into the Future: NUS Analysis

Yes...Judgement Day is upon us. It's time to make the ultimate decision.

Standing in one corner is NUS, the National University of Singapore, with a campus size of more than 350 acres, which is, well, very huge to say the least. Even gigantic would be an understatement. Probably the most recognizable university in the global level, and most likely the first choice for Singapore students.

Yesterday, I went to attend the Windows into School of Computing session. Basically a series of speeches (which none is really useful in my opinion). Like Ben commented, some of them even look like contractors...(feel like buying a yellow helmet for them) Some of the lecturers dress so "casual"...to sound nice. By the way, I believe I remember the host was Cynthia and she did a pretty good job. (I like the opening...it went something like - Imagine you're walking and there are lots of cottages. One of them is a electronic one and you peek through the window, what you see is up to your imagination).

Lame stuff aside, they didn't touch much on Computer Science. I'm not interested in Bioinformatics, Engineering or Business. Briefly:

Engineering - Almost fall asleep. Talk about communications and stuffs...
Bioinformatics - The lecturer look like 1 political member...anyway, he talks about some Leukemia disease and how computer can help rise the cure rate. Great, but I think I'll leave it to others for this one.
Business - Talks about how Bill Gates says Technology and Business are inseparable...okay...now get out of my way.

The Comms & Media looks good, when they demo the game like PirateJax and Toy World (Forgive me if I cant remember the exact name). But I feel like that course is lean much more towards the art side. I also does not want to give up this "Computer Science" because many jobs, regardless of whether they're related to games or not (Including those I saw at SP Job Portal), states "Computer Science degree of equivelent". I don't know what is its equivelent, but I still feel Computer Science is kind of more "accepted". I don't want to let this possibly life-affecting decision to be influenced by some games presentation. Yes I would love to make them, but I must always keep in mind that the "Game Development" is ONLY a single module in the course. It's not a course in Game Development.

It is also extremely unlikely that I will enjoy the other modules in Comm Media. They're more towards the artistic side, and reminds me more of "Designing of User Interaction" more than anything. I know deep in my gut it's not something I will enjoy. Also talk with an undergraduate there, and he said "If you like to do Programming, you should take computer science", which I feel the same. And thus, it is with utmost regret that I eliminate this possibilty. And it's down to the same 2 original ones I intended.

Again, I am deeply disappointed by the lack of Computer Science introduction at the talk. It was only briefly mentioned in the Questions And Answers (!) and the speaker spoke like 5 sentences on that degree. Of course I know it's more software, and it deals with database and web. But tell me more, you geezer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Choice has been made =D.

Decided not to give myself headache when I enter uni. If you know wad I mean.

Cheers and good luck on your decision!