Friday, May 19, 2006

The true feeling of originality...

Feel like I've been writing a lot more lately. Guess I have much more free time on my hand. Last time I write only like 4 - 5 times a month. Now, almost every other day. Haha.

Anyway, these few days I've spend on organizing and really "archiving" all the works that I've done at the Poly, mainly to those games programs. I really took the effort to remove all the images that I "kope" from the the Internet over the last 3 years into my game. Now that I think about it I really regreted it.

Yes, it's easy to just grab something and use it in your games, very convenient. But now, looking back at it I feel that it's not really "my" work. Some "urge" took over me and I decided to just completely revamped the graphics. I really did every single graphic this time. From the most basic textures, to stuffs like characters and backgrounds. Yes, they may look like "programmer art" (aka lousy art), and is in no where near the league of those images that I originally used. But I actually felt a great sense of satisfaction when I completed it. I'm so happy. It may not look as nice, but it really felt like my work. I also replaced all the audio with royalty free music. (too bad I don't have any talent in these area or I would really like to compose my own)

1) Baby Revenge - Basically I did away with the 10 stages of background, monsters and music. I draw my own "cute little baby" and "angry little monster", and use them 10 times for all the levels.

2) Space Invaders - Remove all the "graphic aliens" and of course the magnificient final boss dragon lord. I painted all the graphics from sketch myself. The "UFO guy", every single weapons, powerups and of course the final boss. I really enjoyed doing the final boss graphic. Great times...I also did a little tweak on the gameplay by making the boss move "incredibly fast" when he's dying...haha.

3) Escape From The Moon - Again, the walls, the moons, the ground. Every graphic and texture I redid myself. A little side note though: I went to search up no the "Pixel Invalid" format error and found it's a common problem with ATI. They said it's an ATI driver issue. Anyway, this problem was finally fixed in Java3D 1.4. (Last time was using Java3D 1.31) I installed the new updated Java3D and the problem is solved! Now I can set accleration on as I run the game, and it runs MUCH smoother than before! (This is what I call technological progress!)

Well, that's about it. I've wasted quite some time but I feel that it's worth it. Next time I do something like these I will make sure I resist the temptation to simply grab something from the net. It's not only that it's violation of copyright stuffs, but also, you really feel more proud of your work when you know everything in it belongs to you.

No comments: