Tuesday, May 23, 2006

And my decision......(University Choice)

Today's a great day for me! Woke up very early, went for morning jog in the Stadium and did the 'Hour of Power'. Was deadbeat after that but felt great the whole day.

Actually, I've already sort of made up my mind the day when I wrote the entry for SOC event. Still, I was "reluctant" to actually go "submit" the offer form as I want to wait...dont' know for what. Haha. Well, you can't run forever. And here's my choice:

Nanyang Technological University (NTU) of Singapore, Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science)

Yes! This is a magic moment! It is after careful consideration and extensive research that I finally made this choice. Here are the reasons for picking this over NUS.

1) A Clear & Comprehensible path

Most important reason probably. NTU course structure is clear, easy to understand and you know exactly what to expect. This means in Sem 1, you take these modules. In Sem 2, you take these modules. They give you electives, you choose some out of the group. In simpler terms, it means same system as Poly.

NUS course structure is extremely flexible...perhaps a bit too flexible. The whole path is like a spider web, where you can jump anywhere you like. I saw the PDF file for the course, and it goes something, "Make up 16 MC from any level 4 and above modules", and much of these modules have pre-requisites or leads to something. In other words, it's "plan every move carefully".

It's not that I don't like to have some flexibility in selection, but I think this is a bit too much. I've seen the electives at NTU, and every one of them is classified clearly into groups, and what field that group of modules is related to. NUS is, well, one "chunk" of stuff for you to dig out for yourself.
I need more assurance, and I am happy with the Poly System.

Adding to that, I also know exactly in NTU which module in the 4 year course I am exempted from. This information is vague to say in the least in the NUS one.

2) NUS Module Bidding System

This sorts of tie in with the 1st reason. Even if they say this is the "last thing you want to worry about", the fact is you can't just ignore its presence. I feel that this system at NUS takes away my certainty and instills doubt. What if I am unable to get in a module I really want? What if I am forced to take another module just because I didn't bid enough credits? At NTU I can be assured I will get the modules I want. I don't have to worry about "scrambling" modules to make up enough MC for graduation.

3) Mathemathics...

This is my "supporting" reason. From the information I've gathered, NTU only have 1 maths module, while NUS have a ton of them. I shall be truthful to myself and say that I'm not a maths person. I'll even go as far as to say that I would want to get away with minimum maths. I know Maths is an essential in a Computer Science module, but why do I have to take up freaking 5 modules on Maths? I've seen in forums, students in US which take topics like CalculusI to IV. It's hell. NTU only have 1 Maths module in the first year. I"ll study real hard, put in lots of effort, do well and get it over with.

4) Messy NUS...

The above are the 3 main reason I have chosen NTU. Another I would mention is that NUS generally just seems "messy". This is evident from the SOC Event. I am not talking about the physical apperance of their staff...what I mean is their programmes. They seems to have lots and lots of programmes. (Which I can't even remember their acroynoms) They have stuffs like scholarship programmes, research programmes, special students programmes and lots of the likes. I was flooded with all these information that day, but it just doesn't seems to click to me. One I vaguely remember was taking away 1 year to do research and engage in some other activities. I feel all these additional stuff will just add on to my burden once I enter the school instead of "enriching" me. Bottom line - I don't like it.

In addition to all of my detail research, I've also posted in forums to get as much views and opinions as possible. The general view I get is that

"If you are keen on Computer Science, it doesn't matter if you go NUS/NTU. NTU may be new and there's no graduates yet. So there's no telling how employees will view them. But the course credibility is just as good."

"Based on the final year projects of my SCE friends, I would say that the projects offered at NTU are more of the 'implementation' kind and the projects offered at NUS are more of the 'theoretical research' kind."

So, after almost 3 months of consideration, I have made my decision. Whether my decision today will prove to be right or wrong remains to be seen. I believe both paths will lead to the same goal, only the route/methods are different. Sometimes the best path is not the ideal path. It's not clear now which one is the best, but NTU is the ideal path for me.

I shall stand by my decision. Perhaps I'll look back at this post 3 years later and see if this is the best path.

Well...that's a burden lifted from my shoulders. I shall go "submit" the confirmation form now. Scream with me! Wooooooooooooooo!

Edited:

The course you accept

NTU - Computer Science

has been registered by the
Joint Acceptance system.

Thank you.

No comments: