Thursday, July 03, 2008

Wisdom Tooth Surgery...

I have no intention initially to remove it, but "opportunity just knocks on my door". So there isn't any good reason to turn it down, right? This event really presents a big challenge to me because it was so unexpected and came in my final month. You have no idea the amount of OD changing I had go through in order to slot this in.

Why:

It wasn't causing any major problems for me, but the dentist said food will stuck inside, causing infection and decay. If I don't remove it, it'll cause problems very soon.

My elder bro removed his wisdom tooth like 5 years ago (after NS) and spent nearly $600. So I thought, why waste the money? Might as well eliminate possible future problems.

Of cause there's another very important reason, but I think we all know what it is.

The Process:

I was actually scared out of my wits while waiting for the surgery. Waiting outside was alright, but once I entered the surgery room, signed the "agreement form" and laid down on the chair, I was practically shivering.

I don't know if it's because of the freezing air-con or me being overly nervous (first time in my life I'm actually undergoing a "surgery").

Basically, they'll cover your upper body and your entire face (except your mouth) with the "green cloth". I basically couldn't see anything throughout the whole surgery, not that I wanted to. I just shut my eyes tight and pray it will be fast and painless.

It's much easy than I thought. After the anesthetic sinks it, nearly half your face becomes numb. All I know is that the surgeon kept drilling my tooth, kept spraying some unknown bitter substance and stuffs, but I can't feel a thing. After that, she used a pincer and tugged and pulled really forcefully (your face sort of becomes distorted with all the pulling at your gums). It was over in 5 minutes I think.

Aftermath:

Went home after taking my medicine. Changed about 5 gauzes. Every single one covered entirely in blood when I removed them. Face is still numb from the cheeks to the jaws, and I just kept replacing the gauze to stop the bleeding, but it doesn't seem to be stopping. Bleed and bleed.

First 6 Hours:

For the first 6 hours or so, I was literally drinking my own blood. It was really uncomfortable and . Every gulp of water I drink, I can taste my own blood... Eeew...

After about 4 hours, I can feel the anesthetic wearing off. I make do with some milo and white bread (dip the bread into the milo until it becomes "nua", then swallow it.) Ate my medicine quickly and go to bed because I can feel the pain coming liao... Better sleep fast.

...

Woke up about 2 hours later... argh... can feel the pain liao... my left jaws are mine again. And I'm drinking blood again. Hoot 1 painkiller...

Now:

Still got blood when I use the gauze on the wound (much better though), and I don't dare to eat anything. Just drink milo and eat the bread. Eat some "ultra nua" porriage. Don't dare to chew... scared will bleed again. Waiting to eat my next dose of medicine.

Advice For Others:

Bad mistake is I went too early. In the morning, one usually doesn't have the appetite. The "strategy" should be to eat AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE until you're damn full before you go for the surgery. Then don't eat for the rest of the day.

For my case, I try to spam a lot in the morning already... but still felt hungry by afternoon.

Conclusion:

Hope I recover soon...

No comments: