Thursday, September 20, 2007

Setting up a Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN)

Been spending all my book-out time doing that these few days, cause my brother keep pestering me to. Originally wanted to wait till weekend one...

It is actually much easier than I thought, but I don't have any prior experience. First, I just realized how "old school" our modem is. It's still using USB. So we got it replaced with a Linksys model. And of course we got a Linksys router as well.

Everything was fine but the router doesn't seems to work. It keeps showing unable to connect even though the light indicate it's perfectly fine. I finally called up the Service Hotline and they assigned me an "ang moh" operator. Had a hard time making out what she was talking with that accent, and she assume I'm a total newb...

Like when she told me, "Go to device manager...", I already opened up liao... but she had to step by step... "Go to start, then settings, then control..."

Waste my time sia... but other than that she's quite helpful. When she asked me which manufacturer my computer is from, I said I "DIY myself"... she was a bit stumped and sort of didn't know how to carry on.

But at that point I finally realized the root of the problem... Indeed I look carefully and it read "Ethernet Controller" with an "!". So I climb all the way to the top of my cupboard, retrieve my ASUS Installation Disc and finally found what I was looking for. I didn't install the Ethernet Driver when I set up the computer. (because I had no use for it at that time!)

Spend some time connecting the cables and wires... the place is really a mess of wire... buay tahan. Speakers, monitors, modem, router, power supply, everything...

So I spent 1/2 hr or so unplugging, untangling and taping them neatly...

Finally managed to get the wireless connection running on the laptop...wee. Now I won't have to get super piss off when my brother interrupts me. Both of us can access the internet at the same time, which is great~

I might spend the weekend setting the encryption and stuff for the WLAN if I have the time...

No comments: