Saturday, August 22, 2009

NTU Y2S1, Week 2 In Review

And so, the 2 weeks of "warming-up" session have come to an end...

This is without a doubt my toughest semester in NTU so far. (in terms of AU)

After this sem, I will never need to go through another term with this much AU (and labs) again.

So... I'll do my best!



Operating Systems

Yep... It's just like what the name says. All about Operating Systems.

Processes, Memory, Security, Storage... blah blah blah... every frigging thing you can find in an OS.

Don't really like this subject so far, cause it appears to be a very content heavy subject - aka memorization work.

The lectures doesn't make it any better. Hope to get a good tutor.



Database Systems

Yep... another "System"...

Makes me feel that I'm REALLY studying Computer Science.

This is a more "understanding" kind of subject, which is slightly better.

Somehow... I have this phobia of database due to my bad experience at Poly...

I don't think I'm too good in modeling database...

And the lectures doesn't make it any better.

Hope to get a good tutor, cause I'm having a lot of trouble even with Tutorial 1...

Or should I just tell myself "Not To Worry"...



Computer Graphics & Applications

Last minute drop Artificial Intelligence and retake this...

You know... last time, I was so looking forward to this module.

But now, I realize "Computer Graphics" is just a "cover-up"...

A decoy to entice people.

...

But what is it really?

It's FRIGGING MATHS.

Geez...

This will be my last Maths-related subject in my course.

The lectures are too "beyond my understanding"... really need a good tutor for this...



Programming Languages

Argh... this subject was quite different from what I initially expected.

It's one thing to learn C++, Java, Visual Basic, C#...

But Scheme & Prolog? O_O

Do we really need to learn such "ulu" languages?

Maybe I'll know once this is over...

...

So far, there hasn't been anything too out of this world...

But hard to say once the lab assignment comes...



HR Management & Entrepreneurship

Yea... You can probably tell how crappy this module is just from the name.

It's like, an even bigger pile of **** than Technical Communication. (Because this one has lectures, and worse - exam)

Eww...

The good side? No more FTs... No more, ever.

...

"Only NTU can think that a subject like entrepreneurship can be assessed by an exam with 70% weightage"

Why not give each of us $5K to start our own business?



Forensic Science

And the best one for the last.

Although it is not without boring and technical stuffs, the bulk of it are all very interesting stuffs.

(Boring & Technical = Chemical reactions... Movement of electrons... Quantum Physics... ZZZZ... Totally turn off and want to sleep)

...

...

The first lecture was a general introduction about the many cases and uses of forensic science.

Some fascinate me so much that I will just "wiki" to learn more about the events.

My favourite chapter so far is the "Time of Death" - teaching you how to read how long someone has died.

Do you know that just by reading the temperature, the skin color, environment, etc... you can estimate the time of death, and even tell if the body has been moved after it's dead!

It's really fascinating.

No comments: