Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bolt!

I really think this is a crappy movie when I first saw its trailer.

And I'm not usually fond of animation films.

So I was actually quite reluctant to watch it...

But now, I'm glad I did. This is a really good movie!

I think it falls just a little behind "Kungfu Panda", which is a movie I hold in very high regards. Haha.

Bolt


Plot

Bolt is a "super-dog" with super powers. The ability to fly over landscapes, break down walls, have heat-ray vision and of course the "Super-Bark" ability... That is, until the camera stop rolling.

Turned out he's been living his whole life in the movie set, thinking he really is a "super-dog".

One unfortunate day, he was "shipped" out of Hollywood into the real world, the reality...

Along the way, he's joined by a cat and hamster with lots of hilarious scenes.

Some parts I liked and can remember off the top of my head are...

Favourite Scenes


1) Mittens the cat is the local bully feeding off the "pigeons". There's a very funny line here that goes like "well, the deal just expired 30 seconds ago!", which is something the cat initially said when she demanded more from the pigeons.

And the next moment, Bolt said the exact same thing back to the cat. Then it cuts to the pigeons laughing atop the lamp post. It was just awesome.

2) The cat taught Bolt how to "beg for food"... You can hear the whole theater go "eeewww..."... It's really way too cute.

3) Rhino, the hamster evil laugh... LOL.

The Ending

The touching part comes when Bolt finally made his way back to Hollywood... when he is reunited with his owner...

I also like the twist about how his "Super Bark" actually saves the day... Haha.

This is a movie that has 70% humor from "Kungfu Panda" and 30% "emo-ness" from "10 Promises to My Dog". Haha.

It can't beat either of them in terms of laugh or tears, but it's a nice combination of both I feel. It's mainly comedy, but is kinda heart-warming at the end as well.





My Thoughts On The Ending

I hate to say this, but...

IF...

IF it didn't end in happy ending, I would have rate this movie 4 stars.

Please don't think I'm an evil person for this, haha.

Of course everyone love a happy ending. All fairytales must have a happy end.

...

But just imagine how much MORE impact it would have, how much more tears will be shed if...

If Bolt actually didn't survive.

If he died after saving his owner.

...

Wow. I think everyone will cry like siao...

The final scene itself is already quite touching... If they just build it on from there... show some flashbacks, etc... I think it would have been perfect.

At that moment, I really thought Bolt died.

...

...

...

But alas!

Unfortunately, or fortunately, you are soon cut to the next scene...

Lively mood, joyous music, everyone survives, everybody happy, the "bad guy" got punished, etc...

A very "typical" happy ending.

Haha.

It isn't that a happy ending isn't bad, but compared to a tragic ending, I think the latter will stay with the audience longer. It can really moved people.

Like until now, I still remember Van Helsing killed his beloved in werewolf form (tragic end). You think I would remember that movie if it was a "The 2 of them lived happily ever after?".

No way. LOL.

...

...

NEVERTHELESS!!!

This is still a very good movie.

Highly recommended by me.

...

...

Just one thing.

Don't watch it on weekends.

Freaking expensive.

Rating: 3.5/5
(70% of "Kungfu Panda" humour, 30% of "10 Promises To My Dog" Emo)

No comments: