Tuesday, June 10, 2008

PC Show Lookout

Wah Lau... The PC Show is coming up in just a few days, and I still haven't decide what to get.

I've saved a long time for this day... and there are like 101 things I wanted to buy...

I shaln't bother writing about minor stuffs, but here are 2 major items I am considering...

1) Laptop


This is the most expensive and most difficulty item to get. Or rather, not to get. I didn't thought about it until they mentioned it. I supposed the poly guys are all getting one?

Firstly, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to laptop. I have no idea how the specifications of a laptop stands against that of a PC. Like 2 graphics cards, but one is the "mobility" version. How big exactly is the difference. What price justify what performance. Totally no idea.

And I'm very lazy (and busy) to waste time doing research on this. I have no idea how much to spend on this (Is $2K too little?) or what to get. I do have a vague idea of what I want in it though, if I get one.

Firstly, I don't think I want to get a "gaming laptop". To me, a laptop is NEVER for gaming. It is just not a fulfilling experience no matter how powerful the laptop is. This is especially after I started gaming on a 22' Widescreen. A laptop is good for playing stuffs like Viwawa and Solitaire, but not for full fledge games. Thus, my mentality is, "no point spending an extra thousand to get a gaming laptop". I rather use that extra cash to upgrade my PC.

Then again then again... I need one that is good enough for whatever school work that I have to do. So, how much is "good enough"? How good it has to be to not lag? What programs will I be using at school and what are the requirements? I have NO freaking idea.

So, unless there's some heavenly deal, I'll just be keeping a look out instead of actually buying one at the show. Maybe I'll make do with my brother's school laptop first (even though it's 3 year old NTU product) and try to get one before Sept's Comex.

2) Digital Camera

This is a "must get"... I've been delaying its purchase for over 9 months already. And I'm tired of "begging others" for photos.

Lots of new models have came out since the last time I checked, and the old ones have dropped steeply in price.

Basically, my budget is very flexible for this item, so I'll just get the one that give me the best bang for bucks.

It's the first time I'm actually buying a digicam, so I'm looking at one that's beginner friendly (with all the image stabilization & eye correction stuffs), one that's simple and easy to use. Most importantly, it must be ultra ultra compact with a good optical zoom (4x). I'm actually looking for those that can zoom while recording video... it's quite a rare feature but I've managed to find a few models that meet all these criteria.

The only problem is I don't know their exact prices and I haven't tested them hands-on yet. What I know is that they received very good reviews~

So I'll most definitely be getting it during this period, regardless of whether it's at the show or not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I have to extra budget, I may look into luxury stuffs like PSP & PMP as well...

Hope I get a good deal~

No comments: