Sunday, June 03, 2007

My New 22' Widescreen!

LOVE IT TO DEATH! It's like I've brought a totally new computer. The entire experience of using the computer is different. It cannot be compared with changing the RAM, V-Card, those internal components which you can't see. You can only feel them. This one is like royalty visual. And changing the monitor finally completed my cycle of upgrading the entire PC. (which took a total of 6 months) Lots of sweat, tears, pocket burns and headaches... but it was all worth it in the end.

Picking the LCD was the hardest of them all. Why did I decide to change? I was still using a 17' CRT. Yes. Even after I've upgrade EVERY single component, I'm still using the crappiest monitor. Then came once when I read an article about how "You spend ALL your time using the computer staring at the monitor. Why not get a better screen? Why would you spend $1000 on a graphic card and save on the LCD?"

Of course I didn't spend $1000 on a graphic card, but that article made me began the hunt for LCD monitors. I think it started around April. From that time onwards, I would always keep a look out for new models, price lists, reviews, latest promotions, comments by users, etc... I finally decided 22' as the "sweet spot". It's the best value for money, and well within my budget. Another level higher and you reach 24' which cost close to $1000. Any lower and I regard them as a total joke. (20' font is too small, 19' is utter thrash)

The widescreen gaming forum plays a big part in convincing me to go widescreen but I won't go into it here. Since I've decided on the type, I began my hunt for the biggest names of them all...

Samsung 225BW - Great price at $499, with height adjustable stand, but older model. Plagued by serious light bleeding. The major factor was Samsung BAD warranty policy. 7 Dead pixels before you can exchange? Out.

Samsung 226BW - Super chio design, with $529 (UP $599) at PC Show! I was super tempted to get this, but didn't due to the issue of "S", "C" and "A" panels. It is said that they always use the S (the best panel) for display to customers, but sell the C panels (lower quality). Unscrupulous act? Or "no such bullshit" according to what the promoters said at the show? Everyone at the forum has confirmed this is true, and I don't want to go through "panel lottery". Out.

Viewsonic 22” VX2245WM - 1.3 Mega pixel Webcam with speakers. All the gimmicks doesn't justify its $599 (UP $649) price. Out.

Viewsonic 22” VX2225WM - Lots of mixed reviews, some even condemned the "3 birds". It specs isn't impressive considering it's $499 price (even though it came with a printer).

LG 22' L226WTQ - Awesome specs on the paper. But users in forums have claimed the "Q" series is plagued with ghosting problems due to overdrive. The complaints rate (everyone who brought it say they regretted) is so high that I'm eventually convinced not to get this. $585 some more.

I've also looked at a lot of others like Dell, Acer blah blah blah. None of them were anymore impressive then those above. Asus one had this pivoting function which I love to have, but its 20' alone is going at nearly $800... I might as well get 24' -_-

And finally, just days before was about to give up, I saw this model from Philips.

Philips 220WS - 5ms, 1000 Contrast Ratio, HDCP and Vista supported. The only thing it loses to Samsung is its response time and design. But only selling $499. It's a very good deal! Upon closer inspection, Philips Warranty policy really "nothing to say". You only need 2 dead pixels (in ANY combination) to exchange, with 3 years on-site warranty! I don't think ANY other brand offer such a good warranty. Add in a free $69 DVI cable, and as a bonus a cordless phone... I decided to head down SLS to take a good look on the final day of this promotion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I talked to the promoter at SLS, and I'm glad that they're not just random bashing the other brands. One really tried to explain the pros and cons of various brands to me. And what actually does the various specification means. Like Samsung design doesn't work well in the dark. How you don't really need features that you never used. How Samsung "3000 Dynamic contrast" is only when you're playing games, while Philips had "1000 Static contrast". How it is an 8 bit panel, and Samsung is a 6 bit. I did some "hands on" with the monitor and felt really comfortable with it. The specifications is comparable to the highest end 22' LCD, but the price is not.

The best thing is they accepted my request to test the LCD on the spot for dead pixels just in case. Tested, and absolutely no problem! At that point I made the decision~ And I happily and willing parted with half a grand to bring home my new LCD!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the rest...the rest is history.

The best thing is now I can include every panel I want in MediaMonkey! Everything is displayed so nicely. My desktop space increased by more than two fold. My old monitor was "barely bigger than an A4 paper" (less in height, 1.5 times in width). This monitor is more than 2 A4 paper combined. Freaking cool. Of course it's not just about playing games. In flash, I can now see up to 140 frames+ alone in the standard view. Previously I can barely see 50. Everything looks so spacious. Same for Photoshop and all the programs. Best thing is don't have to switch back and forth so often.

Try opening Microsoft Excel on your monitor and see how far the columns go to. A normal 19' LCD will probably reach around "M, N, O, P" region. A widescreen will take you all the way to "Z"! It'll display everything!

But there are some cons too. For example, it now takes a noticeably longer time to "alt tab" out of a game... I think it's due to my VCard having 256RAM only. But the pro outweighs the cons by far. I don't think I can ever go back to using that old monitor anymore.

This is what happened to my Medieval II... From this...


To This!



LONG LIVE WIDE SCREEN!

No comments: