Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Eating Disorder?

I've never had a big appetite.

I was never the kind of person that could make a buffet meal worthwhile.

I eat very little... but recently, little has become even lesser than normal.

It's quite scary...



I have no idea why this is happening.

I get full very easily, and I would feel like vomiting if I continue to eat any further pass that point.

There are occasions when I don't feel hungry at all even when I haven't eaten anything for half a day.




I've actually went to see the doctor about this.

He measures my blood pressure and stuffs... and assures that everything is normal.

The reason he gave was "probably due to me being too stress."



But I seriously don't think that's the reason.

This thing persisted through the December Holidays.

What do I have to stress about during the holidays?

I'm not very stress now either.

And no, I'm also not on a diet so I'm not purposely starving myself.



I really don't know what's happening to me.

It scares me when I'm eating barely 2 meals a day, and each meal is half the amount of a normal adult.

Sometimes, I think I'm dying.

Anyone know what I can do besides waiting to death to claim me?


An eating disorder is characterized by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individuals physical and emotional health.

Question


"In the past 2 months I've lost 15lbs from 165 down to 150. My appetite is nonexistent, and nothing even sounds remotely good to eat. When I do eat, I'm only able to eat 1/2 of what I used to eat. Fatigue is a big factor also, too tired to exercise after working all day. Any suggestions."

Answer

There are many reasons for appetite loss, another one of those "non-specific" symptoms that is hard to pinpoint. First, find out if any of those items exist: depression, medication side effect, recent or current infection or other illness, low testosterone levels. Fatigue is often associated with weight loss, but may be related to anemia or other medical factors.

Once your appetite loss leads to weight loss, you can be at a higher risk for other problems. So, prevention whenever possible and quick reversal of weight loss is important. Prevention of weight loss is certainly better (and often easier) than having to regain it once it is lost.

There are many diet strategies to help improve your food intake. It is likely to be easier to restore your appetite if you make sure that you eat well when you don't have an appetite. You can try small, frequent meals and foods that don't fill you up as quickly. Also, eat more when you feel like it to compensate for times when you don't. Add in small amounts of exercise (walk a little, for instance) that you can tolerate. Keep plenty of small snacks (hopefully healthy ones) available for when the urge to eat hits. Eat with friends or TV (when mindless eating is easier). You can also use medical nutritional supplements (calorie-containing supplements) as meal or snack additions or even meal replacement, if you need to.

If you have already checked for risk factors (listed above) and solved any of those problems, you may want to talk with your doctor about medications that improve appetite.


No comments: